Thursday, January 1, 2009

thought of the day.171

Atheist Spirituality

“The business of human beings is to be alive. Death is not our affair. Our job is to learn, grow, dance, sing, have sex, play with, enjoy and teach our children and grandchildren, and to love one another--especially love one another. Love is the finest thing we do. When we are loving we are doing the best thing human beings can do. It is greater than all our other human accomplishments. Our love is more beautiful than the Mona Lisa, stronger than steel cables, older than the pyramids and more impressive than gods, governments, monuments or the entire contents of the Encyclopedia Britanica....

“I'd like to make it clear that I do not equate religion with spirituality. I think religion has often been a great evil in the world. If you look up the meaning of the phrase "auto-da-fe" you will see that it means literally "act of faith." This faith act, however, is tying a living person to a stake, piling wood around their feet and burning them to death. Before anybody protests the good things religion has done--The Salvation Army, Feed the Children, The Friends and the Unitarian Universalist Service Committees, etc.--I contend that faith in the unseen does not make us different people from who we already are. Good people do good things, bad people to bad things and both have, in the past, invoked religion and belief in God as the motivation for their behavior.

“I think that spirituality is extremely important. A healthy spiritual life is important to our development as human beings. Healthy spirituality is as important as good self esteem or good relationships, but I separate spirituality from religion. I don't think it has much to do with divine revelation or worship of the unseen.

“That brings us to the sticky subject of a definition for spirituality. If spirituality doesn't have much to do with gods or divine inspiration, what the heck is it? I've read a lot on this subject and talked to a lot of people about it. The answer is clear--we're going to have to live with ambiguity. There's no single definition. Everyone must find the answer for themselves. Naturally I've come up with a definition for myself and I'll offer it to you, not as the final answer--because I don't believe there is one--but to give you something to think about, or maybe a starting point for your own definition.

“So what is spirituality? What are we doing when we are "being" spiritual? For me spirituality is not a state, but an activity. In my humble opinion spirituality is practice. I can't stress that enough. Traditional Asian sitting meditation is a practice--and a difficult one--even though it looks like doing nothing. Spirituality is not striking a virtuous pose. It's not waiting for a swell of emotion. Usually the spiritual practice is something which is repetitive and which serves to disengage the wandering ever-busy mental processes and allow them to come to rest. When the restless mind quiets we can form an intimacy with ourselves. When that happens we also forge a connection between ourselves and the web of existence. We make a carefully considered, nourishing and replenishing connection with life itself. Spirituality is forming an intimate and loving connection with ourselves and with everything in life.

“What constitutes spiritual practice? What do you do? Some practices are obvious. Meditation is one, an important one. Another traditional practice is contemplation and prayer--whether you pray to someone or not, whether you contemplate the divine or the universe in all its splendor. I dance. I play the drum. I chant and I participate in rituals. But also, I know several people who garden, who paint--both pictures and houses, who work wood or metal, who sew, who jog, who bake bread. Phil Jackson in the book Sacred Hoops finds basketball to be a spiritual practice. There are many ways to celebrate these important spiritual connections and allow ourselves to be nourished by them....

“Ultimately Kuan Yin and Bertrand Russell are telling us the same thing: Be compassionate toward one another. Love one another. Endure the happiness of your neighbors, because their happiness is inextricably bound to your own. And for the sake of your own happiness, forge an intimate connection with yourself and between yourself and everything that is in life, celebrate those connections and be nourished by them.

~ Susan Brassfield, Kuan Yin, Bertrand Russell and Why Atheist Spirituality is Not An Oxymoron

1 comment:

Janet Greene said...

I would like to make my own comment about non-religious spirituality. I had a christian upbringing, and therefore the god I knew was terrifying, judgmental, ready to send me to Africa to be a missionary (like Jonah), even if I didn't want to (I'd have to obey god's will); or a god ready to test my faith (like Job). To make things worse, my father was an evangelical pastor and I thought that since he was a godly man, if god so instructed my dad would kill me (like Abraham and Isaac). I was also told that god, who would punish or test me at any moment, was a god of love. How confusing is that??? It's no wonder I had not a clue what love was.

I started on a journey toward spirituality when I was 32 years old, and met an aboriginal elder who practiced a combination of the 12 steps, and traditional aboriginal beliefs (which is very gentle, non-judgmental). This opened the door to my spiritual life. After practicing aboriginal spirituality for a few years, I continued reading, studying, learning, and discussing and eventally evolved to the place where I can be "spiritual" without a specific belief system at all.

My spirituality consists of wonder, gratitude, my connectedness with other people and all things, love (feeling and showing), generosity, feeling that fullness of spirit and occasionally, lighthearted joy just at being alive. If that is not "spirit", I don't know what is. That is not to say that "spirit" is not just chemical reactions in my brain; it may well be. However, there is a spark of life in each of us that would seem to be bigger than just the physical mechanics of the human body. In addition, we only use approx 10% of our brains; we don't really know what the rest of the brain is for yet. Could it be that we have other spiritual gifts that most of us are too "civilized" to tap into? I won't pretend I know about this stuff, but there might be things like telekinesis, or other things that are as yet unexplained.

Bottom line - I agree that each person must find spirituality for themselves. I think you know you've found it when you are on a quest for truth and knowledge; when you don't have to leave your brain at the door to believe in something; and when it brings togetherness, peace, and joy.