Monday, April 13, 2009

thought of the day.271

Hitchens/Craig Debate

Last Sunday I watched Christopher Hitchens and William Lane Craig via a live simulcast debate the idea “Does God Exist?” My overall impression was that Craig was well organized and Hitchens was less so. It also seemed Hitchens could have used a comb and maybe a bath.

But rather than discussing the points argued, I would like to note how the debate was slanted before anyone took the microphone.

To phrase the debate as “Does God Exist?” is misleading. An admittedly less catchy, but far more fair and accurate phrasing would be: “Is it Likely Any Gods Exist?” Wording it in such a way reminds us that one cannot prove the existence or non-existence of a “God” or “Gods” but can only place such a notion on a scale of probability. It also reminds us of the fact that there has never been one agreed upon “God” but countless competing gods. And if we believe that any gods are merely the product of human imagination (which we all do) then it is possible (if not likely) that all gods are.

2 comments:

homesicksooner said...

WLC is one of the best Christian philosophers of our day. I for one am glad he takes seriously what he believes. I hope Hitchens continues to do these types of events.

If "Does God Exist?" is not a fair question, I wonder why Hithens continues to be amenable to the topic?

john evans said...

I agree that Mr Craig is an excellent debater.And yes, always nice when people have given serious thought to why they believe what they do.

I would guess Hitchens just hasn’t given the title that much thought. I mean, it seems like a reasonable question at first but hopefully I have shown why it is if not unfair, certainly misleading. I think I will reword the post that way.