Tuesday, January 22, 2008

thought of the day.27

I’ve sat cross legged and bare foot while taking in the sights, sounds and smells (as well as an incredible Indian breakfast) of a Hindu service. I’ve heard the hauntingly beautiful chants of a Muslim service in which I was mooned by some 400 prostrated men. A yarmulke has kept my bald head warm and the shine from blinding Yahweh while attending a Jewish service. I’ve visited the Church of Scientology and dozens of different flavored Christian churches from tongue speaking Pentecostal to a Cowboy church held in a bar to a Baptist megachurch the size of a mall. All of these services undoubtedly provided the participants with community and a story to build their lives around. But with the good comes the evils of guilt and fear, the sacrifice of intellectual freedom, toxic primitive ideas about the subjugation of women and the earth, and so on. And of course, such belief systems are inherently divisive which breeds all kinds of suffering.

But last night I attended what I “pray” is the church of tomorrow. The preacher preached the holiest message I’ve ever heard in a church. And the bible and hymnal he used was science. Though I would feel better about jettisoning the word “God” altogether, Michael Dowd is pointing us in the right direction with his message of evolutionary theology. I encourage everyone to visit his site: ThankGodforEvolution.com

1 comment:

Michael Dowd said...

Praise Life, brother John!! Thanks for your generous mention of me and recommendation of my site.

Your readers may be interested in knowing about my new book, "Thank God for Evolution!", which has been endorsed by 5 Nobel laureates and 120 other scientific, religious, and cultural luminaries (including many atheists). It's main purpose is to help religious believers to enthusiastically let go of literal interpretations of their otherworldly myths in order to wholeheartedly embrace a science-based, evidential worldview. I can think of few things more important for the health of planet Earth and its species, including us, than assisting the religious of the world to cooperate in service of a just and thriving future.

My book is available for free, as a pdf download, from my site. It's also available as an inexpensive hardback from Amazon and B&N.

The book trailer is quite impressive too:
http://thankgodforevolution/book-trailer.html

Co-evolutionary blessings,

Rev. Michael Dowd
"America's evolutionary evangelist"