Wednesday, December 16, 2009

thought of the day.356

A collection of comments (sure to grow) taken from conversations I have had with Christians about the bible. Though I strive to keep my comments focused on the bible itself, I find believers often shift the focus from the bible to me and my shortcomings.

Apparently, the reason that I criticize the immorality of the biblical God is not because it is justified but because...

I AM ANGRY
“It is clear ... you are in active and often angry rebellion against God”
“Why so angry at God?”
“Rage if you must, just please take it somewhere else”

I AM BITTER
“you are a bitter person”

I HAVEN’T READ THE BIBLE
“You don’t know scripture”

I HAVE NO MORALS
“folks of your ilk are always looking for an moral out, but always have strength enough to lift your fingers and point to those like me who actually have moral convictions.”

I AM A FUNDAMENTALIST
“Atheists are just like fundamentalists...taking scripture out of context and translating verbatim.”
“I think if you stop behaving like a fundamentalist...”
“You obviously come from a very fundamentalist background.“

I NEED TO BE PRAYED FOR
“Ill pray for you John!”
“I’ll light a candle for you too John at mass on Sunday.”
“I'm STILL praying for you John.”

I TEAR PEOPLE DOWN
“...you John tried to tear those people down. You diminished their faith to rape and your ignorance of scripture. You tried to tear me down but you lost. You lost big and for that I am so sorry such scripture inspired you to tear someone down... God is Good!”

I AM A FOOL
"Only a fool says there is no God"

I AM HELL BOUND
“At the judgement, there will be weeping and nashing of teeth and men crying out that they did this and they did that in His name." His reply will be, "Depart from me, for I never knew you". Enough said. Ask yourself, "what if I'm wrong". It's better to bet on a God that can love Mary Magdalene, than one who puts a woman in a sack (Allah) or one who doesn't exist. When you're waiting to die, who are you going to turn to? There are no Atheists in Hell.”

I AM OUT OF MY PLACE
“you all are doing an excellent job putting John in his place.”

I AM GUILT RIDDEN
“ you must feel guilty for being blessed with such an artistic ability.”

I AM NOT NICE
“It's so much easier to be nice. Try it sometime.”

I WAS NEVER A REAL CHRISTIAN

I MAKE PEOPLE LOOK LIKE IDIOTS
“You sure do know how to make a person with faith look like an idiot. Thanks John.”

I FEEL THE NEED TO PUT PEOPLE DOWN
“I never put you down for your "lack" of faith in God though you sure felt it nexcessary to do that to me.”

I RUIN PEOPLE’S DAYS
“No more comments please, you have totally ruined my day.”

I AM AN IDOLATOR
“John, I would suggest you are an idolator and your idol, the thing you place your faith, hope, and trust in, is science.”

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Just because I felt like reassuring. :)

-I don't think you're angry.
-I don't think you're bitter.
-I think you might know a bit more about the Bible than I do, but I'm catching up! ;)
-I don't necessarily agree with the basis of morals in naturalism, but I don't think you're immoral.
-I don't think you're fundamentalistic.
-I do pray for you, but not insultingly. I don't know the context of those comments, but when I pray for somebody it's rather a compliment. I pray for people I care about, because I believe that there is a God who also cares about them who's listening!
-I don't think you tear people down. Whoever said that, I think, was a bit confused.
-I think that person was quoting, "The fool has said in his heart, 'There is no God'." I think that Scripture should probably be coupled with the one in the New Testament, though, which talks about the Gospel not making sense to the unbelievers because the Gospel itself seems foolish.
-That's rather a misquote of Pascal's Wager, along with a mish mash of a couple of other quotes.
-I'm not quite sure what your place is. But I don't think you're out of it ;)
-Are you an artist too?
-I think you're nice. I enjoy discussing stuff. Some people I've met are very outspoken against Christianity and also quite rude, but you're not like that. (Hence why I come back to this blog a lot!)

john evans said...

Kelsie, You are a sweetheart! Thanks very much...Made my day! :)