Tuesday, March 17, 2009

thought of the day.244

Was a spectacularly pretty day today—blue skies and perfect temperature. I talked a little religion with an old friend and a new one; was treated to a delicious lunch by a much appreciated client; had a nice walk in the park with my wife and threw bread to swooping seagulls; held a beautiful 2 week old baby while eating pizza and drinking beer; experienced a weird mixture of pride and horror as my 16 year old son nearly whipped me in a playful wrestling match; and we topped off the day with popcorn, candy and sodas while watching a movie. It’s spring break and we’re taking the train to the zoo tomorrow—life is sweet.

Postscript: 11:58 pm. 18 year old daughter is on the phone—crying. Seems to have a flat tire. Oh, and seems to have some body damage. I stumble out of bed. The formerly near mint condition 94 Celica has been split open along the side with what looks like a giant can opener. Fire hydrants will do that. But she’s o.k. Sadly, her bank account won’t be. Maybe next time she comes home after working all day (like her mom suggested) instead of driving to the boyfriend’s house. Tow truck will be called in the morning. Life is still sweet.

7 comments:

Janet Greene said...

Your children are profoundly fortunate to have a rational parent!!! One less family of children having to un-do the damage of religious indoctrination.

I just finished the book "Crazy for God" by Frank Schaeffer. Interesting story - for those bloggers not familiar with the name he's the son of Dr. Francis Schaeffer & Edith Schaeffer, right-wing leaders from the 60's through the 80's and advisors to presidents. They are the one who put the "fun" into "fundamentalism". Sorry, what I meant to say is that they put the "politics" into "religion". Frank, the son, was part of the ministry. He then turned his back on it (at the risk of EVERYTHING) and now calls it foolish and stupid. It is truly a must-read.

john evans said...

I enthusiastically second Janet’s recommendation.

john evans said...

And thanks for the kind words Janet! By the way, how was dinner with the parents?

Janet Greene said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Janet Greene said...

Dinner was lovely, actually. There was no attempt to convert, on either side of the equation! My mother is quite weak and didn't last long, but it really was great. It's funny - now that I am prepared for the discussion, seems like it doesn't come up. I remember many, many times when my dad, right out of nowhere, would aggressively spout a verse or two. It was like a storm that would come and go - it was almost frightening. I also remember how verses would be used to avoid real conversation. For example, if I asked how dad felt about something, he would quote a verse instead of answering me. In fact, I remember as a child, when I had night terrors - I would go to mom and dad for comfort - they would mumble a bible verse and send me to bed! I don't think they meant to screw up the job of parenting (we've all made mistakes as parents) but the point is that RELIGION was the tool used to be completely ineffective as a parent. If I had learned wisdom, the ways of the world, how to handle money, how to deal with politics in the workplace, how to get along with others (not being a victim or a bully); etc, instead of being prayed at and preached at, I would have been a functioning adult (as is the normal course of events). As it was, other than reading and writing I learned virtually nothing of value until I left home at age 18. Life can be a very hard teacher for a girl who virtually started from nothing at age 18.

My long-winded point is that prayer and bible verses were all I heard growing up. Now that I have the strength to stand up to it, it's not there. It's almost as though they sense that I will say something now if they bring up the subject of religion. We can actually have some good conversations now! Wish it weren't so long overdue.

john evans said...

So glad dinner went well! And always find the details of your upbringing interesting. Your managing to break free from the dysfunction of christianity and your well-meaning but misguided parents was truly an heroic achievement!

myrtle church said...

Hmmm interesting thanks Janet

http://beltwayblips.dailyradar.com/video/d_l_hughley_frank_schaeffer_author_of_crazy_for_god_on/